Revised: Consideration Date
Closes: Open Until Filled –To ensure consideration, please submit application materials by August 13, 2013. The position will remain open until filled.
The University of Oregon is currently accepting applications for Chef/General Manager, Food Service Operations. This position offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits on a great campus located in the desirable city of Eugene, Oregon.
General Description of the Position
University Housing is an auxiliary educational and business enterprise of the university with an annual budget of approximately 20 million dollars. The Food service program provides board and cash operations services to residents, campus and conference customers.
Provide leadership and direction for Fresh Marketcafe a retail dining operation that includes a café, deli, pasta station, rice bowl station, sushi bar and an extensive retail food options. The General Manager Supervises 1 Food Service Manager and is responsible for 45 classified staff and numerous student staff. Make independent decisions regarding staffing, ordering, and daily operations. Individual units operate varying hours that can include breakfast, lunch, dinner and late night meal service from 7am to 11pm seven days a week. Budgetary responsibility will include the allocation of staff and purchase of food and supplies. This position reports directly to the Director of Food Services.
Description of Specific Duties:
30% Supervise and develop dining management and supervisory staff to provide consistent leadership of operations throughout all units and day parts. Identify, develop and refine menus, products, concepts, décor, pricing structures and marketing strategies for operation subject to the approval of the Director of Food Services.
30% Provides hands-on supervision of the daily operations of five separate retail dining operations. Supervises 1 Manager, 45 classified staff and 100 student employees to ensure the service of safe, great tasting foods, effective financial management and responsive, outstanding customer service in each unit.
10% Maintain accurate POS system, inventory management system, cash handling systems, etc, to ensure accurate financial controls in all operations.
10% Develop and track labor budgets for each operation. Hire, train and develop the appropriate staffing necessary to maintain operations to meet the needs of customers within budgeted guidelines. Develop working procedures and training for all staff members. Ensure staff evaluations, payroll, disciplinary actions, etc, occur as needed.
10% Conduct regular review of operations through customer input, shopper surveys, food forums, sales trends, unit inspection, inventories, etc, in an effort of continuous improvement of operations.
10% Acts on customer complaints, criticisms and suggestions. Responds to grievances at the first level. Is responsible for compliance with safety, sanitation and health regulations and laws of the city, county and state. Performs other duties as required.
Upholds all affirmative action rules, regulations and guidelines. Performs expected duties and uses equipment and supplies in a safe and non-hazardous manner according to instructions and training provided by manufacturer and/or directions provided on equipment and labels and accepted practices within the classification.
Number of employees supervised - 50% of time spent in supervision:
1 Officer of Administration
Experience & Education Required:
1. Five years' supervisory experience in the food service industry.
2. Bachelor’s degree in foodservice/culinary/hospitality management or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and strong demonstrated food service management experience.
3. Experience managing a large kitchen staff including all hiring, training and scheduling.
4. Demonstrated creativity in developing menus and recipes for a variety of authentic food styles.
5. Excellent communication skills; be comfortable in a variety of public/social settings and working with a diverse staff.
6. Demonstrated experience costing menus, ordering food products and supplies and ensuring maintenance of equipment.
7. Must have a valid Driver’s license and ability to obtain food handlers permit and OLCC servers permit.
8. Must be able to work a varying schedule that includes evenings and weekends.
9. Must be able to frequently lift 25lbs and to stand for long periods of time.
Position subject to criminal background check.
1. Five years' supervisory experience in the food service industry, preferably including high volume restaurant and college/university setting.
2. ACF Culinary certification or equivalent certification of Chef de Cuisine or higher preferred.
Annual starting salary of $50,000 to $57,000 based on qualifications and experience; highly competitive benefits package.
For full consideration, applicants must submit:
1. Cover letter, which addresses applicant’s qualifications and interest in the position
2. Current Resume, which includes dates of employment
3. Responses to supplemental questions
4. Name, phone number and address of three professional references, one of which is current or most recent supervisor
5. Please send all documents as an attachment and not in the body of the email.
*Please note: cover letter, resume and/or supplemental questions (if required) should clearly demonstrate how applicant meets the requirements of the position.
To ensure consideration, please submit materials by August 13, 2013. Position will remain open until filled. You may submit application materials by email to: email@example.com (Preferred)
Or by U.S. Postal Service mail to:
1220 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403
Supplemental Questions: To assist us in making the selection for Chef/General Manager please respond to the following questions individually and completely and submit them with your application materials.
1. Describe how your combination of education and experience has prepared you to fulfill the duties of this position.
2. Describe your experience applying your culinary skills to the operation of a large scale commercial food service operation, menu prepared, size of events and style of service.
3. Describe the methods you use to ensure excellent customer service in a busy food service operation.
4. Describe your experience leading and supervising a kitchen staff including the number of employees and their positions and your role in training, directing, scheduling and hiring these employees
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the American with Disabilities Act. Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to promoting a diverse learning and working environment are encouraged to apply.