Revised: Application Date and Experience
Department: Erb Memorial Union
CLOSES: To ensure consideration, please submit application materials by October 3, 2013. This position will remain open until filled
General Description of the Position
Through the Division of Student Affairs, the University of Oregon provides an array of services and programs to help students benefit fully from their educational programs, and to help the University carry out its mission of research, teaching, and service. As a unit of the Divisions of Student Affairs, the Erb Memorial Union (EMU) through full use of its programs, facilities (200,000 square feet), personnel (over 80 full time staff, 350-400 paid and volunteer students), and budget (over $10 million) provides opportunity for enhancing the out-of-classroom experience of the student body, culturally, socially, educationally, and recreationally. Through full and complete utilization of its personnel, both students and staff, facilities and services, the EMU shall provide such programs as shall complement and supplement the academic program of the University.
Reporting to the EMU Facilities Director, the Custodial Manager supervises in-house custodial staff and contractors in the performance of sanitation and labor needs to ensure customer service and safety, cost effectiveness, timeliness, sanitation code compliance and adherence to industry standards and practices. This position oversees custodial operation, performs standards inspections and surveys to gather information for maintenance needs to improve the common areas within the EMU. This position works cooperatively and collaboratively with EMU staff, all members of the Facilities management team, and other institutional stakeholders. This position works a varied schedule that includes night and weekend hours.
Description of Specific Duties
Custodial Management: - 30%
Plans, organizes, coordinates, and oversees day-to-day custodial activities. Ensures consistent standards are incorporated into the cleaning and sanitation of the building.
Inspect building on a regular basis; check for cleanliness in offices, restrooms, and all public areas within the building; provide additional cleaning as needed to ensure a clean, safe, sanitary learning and working environment for the students and staff.
Reviews and revises work methods and procedures to assure efficiency, cost-effectiveness, and compliance with established regulations, policies, and standards.
Plans and delivers custodial in-service programs, presentations, and workshops as directed or needed by health or environmental requirements.
Schedule custodians for special events/activities; monitor the cleanliness of the building before and after the activity; report any damage left from the activity; and assist EMU staff with details regarding the set up of the activity.
Manage and Develop EMU specifications for Furniture and Furnishings. Plan, budget, and purchase for replacement of Furniture and Furnishings.
Supervision: - 30%
Supervises staff in performance of custodial services to meet department service goals, using consistent procedures, coordinating with supervisory team members, completes all administrative tasks associated with this process including hiring, orientation, training, progressive discipline, leave management according to operating needs and departmental standards, performance appraisals, etc.
Supervise, mentor and provide guidance and leadership for student staff. Help develop and track learning outcomes.
Develops and prepares work schedules; prioritizes and coordinates duties and assignment; assures effective workflow and facilitates operations; adjusts work schedules as necessary to meet departmental needs.
Oversees substitute custodian training on a regular basis.
Manage and monitor supply inventory; prepare requisitions for supplies to ensure adequate supplies are available for custodial staff; monitor and train the custodians on proper supply usage; responsible for the training, repair, maintenance, and usage of the maintenance equipment that the custodial team uses in their daily routines.
Administrative: - 20%
Provides dissemination of information to EMU facilities personnel and EMU occupants regarding projects as well as routine activities.
In conjunction with Executive Assistant and Operations Manager, develops bid documents, and coordinate purchasing and bidding requirements for supply and service requirements.
In Facilities Director’s absence, observes ongoing service projects to ensure contractors’ adherence to scope, specifications, budget, and schedule.
Develop, supervise and monitor departmental procedures for meeting all life, health, and safety code and regulatory requirements in day to day operations.
Program Management: – 10%
Willingness to work non-standard hours, including weekends and evenings. Troubleshoots and assists with response to emergency situations as needed.
In all aspects of role as a member of the department management team, ensure activities are executed in a manner that is consistent with University and departmental policy, mission and goals and promotes an appreciation for diversity.
May participate and/or chair departmental search processes for classified and/or officer of Administration positions.
May represent Facilities Director in his absence.
Prepares and reviews reports.
Ensures established procedures are followed, and as the need arises, develops new procedures within departmental guidelines.
Attends, plans, facilitates, and presents at meetings and committees.
Collaboration: - 10%
Works collaboratively with EMU staff as well as departmental and other campus stakeholders to ensure that department and university goals are met.
Manages the development and facilitation of user groups as appropriate.
Establishes and encourages collaborations within facilities group, and with department and University.
Works effectively with university customers, students, vendors and others.
Assists the Facilities Director in the preparation of departmental annual capital and operational budgets.
Effectively represents mission of University and EMU organization to departmental employees and campus colleagues, and helps to translate and incorporate these missions into actions and projects.
Other Related Duties as Assigned:
Other duties as assigned by Facilities Director.
Number of Staff Supervised:
Temporary Employees 2-4
Experience & Education Required
1. Five years' custodial and customer service experience.
2. Three years’ experience supervising staff in commercial/institutional buildings. Experience must include hiring, training, disciplining, assigning and reviewing work, and providing formal performance evaluations.
3. Demonstrated experience supervising staff and tasks where successful collaboration and coordination with other supervisors was essential.
4. Demonstrated experience with training and ensuring established standards are maintained.
5. Demonstrated experience in organizing, managing, tracking, purchasing supply inventory.
6. Working knowledge of computer applications (e.g. Word, Excel, e-mail, database tracking).
7. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
8. Demonstrated ability or commitment to work with students and staff from diverse backgrounds.
9. Current or ability to procure an Oregon Driver’s License with ability to obtain UO driver’s certification.
Position subject to criminal background check.
Experience in student union or higher education facilities, especially in a setting where duties were performed as a member of a supervisory team serving diverse operations such as food service, customer service and high volume events.
Annual starting salary $44,000-$49,000 based on qualifications and experience; highly competitive benefits package.
Application Procedure: For full consideration applicants must submit:
1. Cover letter, which addresses applicant’s qualifications and interest in the position
2. Current resume, which includes dates of employment
3. Responses to supplemental questions
4. Names, phone numbers and addresses for three professional references
To ensure consideration, please submit application materials by October 3, 2013. The position will remain open until filled. You may submit application materials by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or by U.S. Postal Service to:
Jake Vasey, Executive Assistant and Operations Manager
Erb Memorial Union
1228 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403
Supplemental Questions: To assist us in making the selection for Housing Facilities Manager, please respond to the following questions individually and completely and submit your responses with your application materials.
1. Refer to the general description of duties and minimum qualifications contained in the job announcement. Describe your skills, abilities and experience that will allow you to meet these requirements. Please discuss each element completely, but succinctly.
2. This position will be responsible for the supervision of both day and swing shift custodial staff. Currently the schedule allows for cross over time between the two shifts, but there are 5.5 hours each day when you will not be on site with the day shift. How will you create a team environment where each team complements and supports the other's work?
3. Please describe your experience supervising custodial staff in an environment where building use needs may compete with the ability to complete tasks.
4. The Division of Student Affairs is committed to creating an organization that actively respects, includes, and engages everyone. What does this mean to you and how, if you were selected as the Custodial Manager position in the EMU, will you help us meet this goal?
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Candidates with a demonstrated commitment to promoting a diverse learning and working environment are encouraged to apply.