Information Technology Consultant 2 - Archive
|Salary:||$16.78 - $31.09 Per Hour|
o The University of Oregon Library invites applications for a full-time Microcomputing Support Technician (Information Technology Consultant).
o This is a classified position represented by SEIU local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
o University of Oregon positions that are at least half-time are eligible for excellent benefits, including health and dental, employer-paid retirement, and tuition benefits for employee or an eligible dependent, sick and vacation leave.
o This recruitment is open to any applicant who meets the qualifications listed below.
TO QUALIFY YOU MUST HAVE:
... basic foundation of knowledge and skills in specialty software support and development as generally obtained through an associate's degree in computer science or related fields, or similar certified course work in applicable fields of study or through related work experience.
* Strong knowledge of commonly used office software products and technical expertise in the maintenance of PC and Macintosh computers.
* Ability to troubleshoot a wide range of peripherals.
* An understanding of TCP/IP networking, Windows Active Directory, and network file and print services.
* Experience with server operating systems such as Windows Server and Linux for both database application development and system administration duties.
* Ability to create or modify scripts to automate client management tasks.
* Strong technical aptitude and ability to learn quickly; ability to evaluate new technologies, including uncommon software used throughout the library.
* A strong service approach and excellent interpersonal skills.
* Ability to communicate effectively with an extremely wide variety of people with greatly varying technical abilities.
* Ability to work well in an environment of fluctuating workload demands including peak periods.
* Ability to work independently and make sound judgments about support and development priorities.
Position is subject to a criminal background check.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position provides PC and Macintosh hardware, software, and peripheral support for staff and public workstations throughout the UO Libraries. Duties include:
... providing front line support to library staff to ensure resolution of microcomputer problems and optimum system performance; providing on-site, telephone and e-mail support; conducting initial diagnosis of problems and planning resolution; assisting in the use of applications and their features; troubleshooting and repairing microcomputer and peripheral hardware; installing, configuring and modifying software applications and peripherals; tracking changes in technology trends to recommend, develop and implement new tools or workflows to better meet library needs; acting as liaison and interface between library staff and other Systems Department staff.
... configuring and deploying new PC and Mac computers to library staff; ensuring that PCs integrate with enterprise virus, update, and key server tools; troubleshooting connectivity issues, software conflicts, user profile issues; migrating user data to new systems; leading teams of students and other staff members; developing and documenting procedures; conducting training.
... assistant system administrator, including assisting in the configuration and management of client management tools; developing basic scripts in Powershell, bash and/or python to automate client management tasks; administering client machines at scale via AD Group Policies, Casper, or other management systems.
... updating records of software titles, licenses, and license keys; storing master copies of software and organizing backup hard copies and electronic copies; preparing purchase orders and following up with Purchasing if orders are not received in a timely manner; keeping current on emerging trends and support needs.
Position requires ability to occasionally push loaded equipment trucks within and between buildings; lift up to 30 pounds and place equipment in awkward areas; ability to crawl on the floor and behind desks to route cables and wires.
To assist us in making the selection for this position, please respond to the following questions on a separate sheet(s) of paper. Number your responses to correspond to the questions and describe experience and training related to each item. Make sure experience and training described in your responses are included on your application.
1. What is your troubleshooting process when you encounter a piece of hardware that you've never encountered before?
2. Describe the tools and techniques you have used to manage a large number of Windows systems.
3. Suppose while reading the tech news one morning, you find out about a critical update to the Java plugin that patches a vulnerability that is being actively exploited in the wild. What steps do you take to protect the your user base?
4. Describe a support experience working with people with a diverse range of computer skills and backgrounds. What techniques did you use to achieve success?
Submit all application materials, including Human Resources Job Application form, supplemental questions and other relevant materials by the closing date to:
677 East 12th Ave., Suite 400
5210 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5210
Human Resources Job Application must be filled out completely or it will not be accepted. Make sure to keep a copy of your application packet for job interviews.
EO/AA/ADA institution committed to cultural diversity. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status.