Security Officer - Archive
|Department:||UO Police Department|
|Salary:||$11.62 - $16.32 Per Hour|
o The University of Oregon Police Department (UOPD) invites applications for full-time Security Officer (Campus Patrol Officer). There are currently two vacancies, however this search may be used to fill future vacancies. Positions work a flexible schedule to meet campus security needs and days and hours of shifts will vary. Positions may be assigned any shift, including weekends and holidays, and may be required to work extra hours to cover shifts as needed.
o Close date extended to 12/13/13.
o This is a classified position represented by SEIU local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
o University of Oregon positions that are at least half-time are eligible for excellent benefits, including health and dental, employer-paid retirement, and tuition benefits for employee or an eligible dependent, sick and vacation leave.
o This recruitment is open to any applicant who meets the qualifications listed below. Individuals with applicable customer service experience outside the security industry are encouraged to apply. Please answer the supplemental questions thoroughly.
TO QUALIFY YOU MUST HAVE:
* High school diploma or GED.
* Ability to operate a vehicle in order to transport individuals or to support other operational needs of the department; possession of a current Oregon driver's license, good driving record and proof of insurance is required to obtain permission to operate university vehicle.
* Ability to complete basic first aid, CPR, and AED training; ability to complete and possess Incident Command System 100/200/700/800 certification.
* Ability to take quick, appropriate action in stressful circumstances, maintain composure in emergency situations, and handle confidential information with discretion.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to maintain legible handwriting, type accurately and efficiently, and prepare a standardized report; candidates fluent in a second language are highly regarded.
* Ability to routinely conduct self in a mature, professional and respectful demeanor with equal regard to all contacts; ability to use established policy and innovation in solving customer service and programmatic issues; ability to follow directions and administrative policies, procedures, and guidelines.
* Ability to prioritize and multi-task effectively in a fast-paced, detail-oriented and time-sensitive environment.
* Demonstrated integrity, ingenuity, and inventiveness in the performance of assigned duties.
* Ability to pass a comprehensive background assessment, including criminal history, driving record history, personal history, and prior employment history, and physical examination and psychological screening to determine candidate's physical capability and suitability to do security work.
* Ability to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds, cultures and age groups; including socio-economic, racial, and ethnic backgrounds.
* Bachelors or Associates Degree
* Spanish, Chinese or Arabic fluency
* University of Oregon Alumni or someone with current knowledge of campus.
* Customer service or other experience engaging the public.
* Previous security experience (those without experience are still encouraged to apply).
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reporting to a UOPD Watch Commander this position provides a variety of entry-level safety and security services to the campus community in support of the department's various law enforcement and security strategies. Duties include:
... engaging students, faculty, staff, and university guests and rendering assistance as necessary, including providing directions to campus facilities and providing information about scheduled events; transporting individuals as requested; rendering basic first aid in the event of medical emergencies.
... conducting general security patrols of the campus to deter criminal activity and behavior that diminishes the quality of university life; observing and reporting unusual circumstances to campus law enforcement personnel; providing safety escorts; completing written reports regarding observations and activities.
... maintaining physical security of the campus environment and its facilities; patrolling all university buildings and properties; locking and unlocking campus facilities; staffing fixed security posts; maintaining safety and security logs.
... identifying and reporting hazardous and unsafe conditions to the appropriate campus unit; monitoring fire and security systems; responding to alarms as directed and securing location until response personnel advise; completing written reports regarding observations and activities.
... providing security coverage for special events; assisting campus law enforcement and event sponsors in maintaining a safe and secure venue; supporting event operations plans, and ensuring that the organizer's security expectations are met.
... providing assistance to the Department of Parking and Transportation as directed, including hooding meters for special parking requests, directing traffic; aiding bicyclists, motorists, and pedestrians; judiciously enforcing parking policies and rules.
... supporting university efforts during campus-wide emergencies, disasters, and large scale events; participating in all tactical preparedness drills, exercises, and training; ensuring familiarity with campus emergency response plans; maintaining required certifications.
Must be able to work outdoors, in all forms of inclement weather. Position requires moderate physical activity, alternating between minimum physical activities to periods of moderate physical exertion, frequent talking, listening, standing, and walking for extended periods of time. Requires occasional running, use of stairs, carrying/dragging incapacitated individuals, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, pushing, pulling, and lifting of 50 pounds or more. Must be able to handle stressful situations, work under pressure, and deal with angry, upset, distressed, or hostile people while reacting calmly and thinking rationally in emergency and life threatening situations.
To assist us in making the selection for this position, please respond to the following questions on a separate sheet(s) of paper. Number your responses to correspond to the questions and describe experience and training related to each question. Make sure that any experience or training described in your responses are included on your application. Answers will be evaluated for clarity and attention to detail.
1. UOPD Security Officers serve an important role as part of an overall plan for campus policing and community outreach. Describe why a position with UOPD interests you, and what you are looking for in a potential career related to law enforcement or community outreach.
2. This position provides customer service while conducting security patrols, observing/reporting unusual circumstances, and monitoring for hazardous or unsafe conditions. Describe experience that has prepared you to perform these functions. Indicate if you have held positions with responsibility for emergency response.
3. This position is responsible for enforcing rules and regulations and may have to deal with angry or difficult individuals. Describe a time you assisted a person who was angry or in crisis. What techniques did you use to communicate with them? What was the outcome?
Submit all application materials, including Human Resources Job Application form, supplemental questions and other relevant materials by the closing date to:
677 East 12th Ave., Suite 400
5210 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5210
Human Resources Job Application must be filled out completely or it will not be accepted. Make sure to keep a copy of your application packet for job interviews.
EO/AA/ADA institution committed to cultural diversity. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status.