Accounting Technician - Archive
|Department:||Sponsored Projects Services|
|Salary:||$12.70 - $18.43 Per Hour|
o Sponsored Projects Services (SPS) invites applications for a full-time Accounting Technician.
o This is a classified position represented by SEIU local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
o University of Oregon positions that are at least half-time are eligible for excellent benefits, including health and dental, employer-paid retirement, and tuition benefits for employee or an eligible dependent, sick and vacation leave.
o Due to budgetary shortfalls, the person appointed to this position may be required to take unpaid furlough days between date of hire and June 30, 2013.
o This recruitment is open to any applicant who meets the qualifications listed below.
TO QUALIFY YOU MUST HAVE:
... one year of experience that includes entering, compiling and/or reporting financial information; OR
... 12 quarter hours (8 semester hours) of accounting courses AND an associate's degree in accounting; OR
... an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Please note that all coursework must be from an accredited college or university and a transcript is required if you do not have one year of accounting experience as described above.
* Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, ability to prioritize, and exercise sound independent judgment.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to communicate effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
* Demonstrated independent problem solving skills; ability to maintain confidentiality and professionalism.
* Experience reconciling accounts to general or control ledgers and tracking accounting functions.
* Experience creating and maintaining computer spreadsheets.
* Ability to work cooperatively and strategically in a team environment with all levels of professionals.
* High level proficiency with word processing and creating and maintaining accounting spreadsheets in Microsoft Excel.
* Fund accounting experience
* Knowledge of federal regulations including OMB Circulars, the FAR and other agency policies and regulations
* Experience with research administration
* Experience with BANNER or similar integrated management systems
* Experience with federal proposal and reporting systems
Position is subject to criminal background check.
The UO is an equal-opportunity, affirmative-action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. We seek candidates with demonstrated potential to contribute positively to the University of Oregon's diverse community.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position provides financial and technical support to the SPS staff and to faculty and staff through the implementation and monitoring of efficient fiscal practices and financial monitoring processes. Duties include:
... assisting in the management of cash balances and perform other cash management duties; preparing billings or financial reports as needed.
... assisting with accounts receivable monitoring and follow-up of billing issues and delinquent payments; perform collection procedures if necessary.
... providing summaries and detailed financial statements and reports for budget, expenditures, and available balances.
... working with UO Purchasing and Contracting office to initiate purchase orders; processing professional service contracts; training staff on procedures and monitoring purchasing transactions to ensure compliance with UO and departmental practices and policies; processing travel reimbursements; ensuring reimbursements are made according to regulations.
This position works in an office environment. Frequent use of computer equipment and telephone required.
To assist us in making the selection for this position, please respond to the following questions on a separate sheet(s) of paper. Number your responses to correspond to the questions and describe experience and training related to each question. Make sure that any experience or training described in your responses are included on your application.
1. Describe your experience maintaining and reconciling accounts, tracking errors, making accounting adjustments, and preparing related reports.
2. This position is responsible for a wide range of processes, including accounts payable, professional services contracts, purchase orders, travel arrangements and reimbursements, and journal vouchers. Describe your experience in these areas.
3. Describe your experience using computer spreadsheet and database software to maintain accounts and specify if you have had experience with an automated financial information system.
4. This position communicates with others regarding financial and administrative issues. Describe experience that demonstrates your ability to communicate effectively and explain accounting issues to vendors and colleagues from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
SKILL CODE SHEET:
You must also fill out a skill code sheet for this position. You can pick one up at Human Resources or print one out at http://jobs.uoregon.edu/skillcode.html
Submit all application materials, including Human Resources Job Application form, supplemental questions and other relevant materials by the closing date to:
677 East 12th Ave., Suite 400
5210 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5210
Human Resources Job Application must be filled out completely or it will not be accepted. Make sure to keep a copy of your application packet for job interviews.
EO/AA/ADA institution committed to cultural diversity. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status.