Grounds Maintenance Worker 1 - Archive
|Salary:||$12.24 - $17.58 Per Hour|
o University of Oregon Housing invites applications for full-time Grounds Maintenance Worker 1.
o This is a classified position represented by SEIU local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
o University of Oregon positions that are at least half-time are eligible for excellent benefits, including health and dental, employer-paid retirement, and tuition benefits for employee or an eligible dependent, sick and vacation leave.
o Due to budgetary shortfalls, the person appointed to this position will be required to take unpaid furlough days between date of hire and June 30, 2013.
o This recruitment is open to any applicant who meets the qualifications listed below.
TO QUALIFY YOU MUST HAVE:
... one year of experience as a grounds keeper; OR
... two years experience in any occupation providing knowledge of horticulture and grounds keeping practices and procedures.
* Good working knowledge of ornamental plants, landscape irrigation, soil chemistry and structure, pest and disease control, horticultural practices.
* Familiarity with the operation of landscape maintenance and construction and related safety equipment.
* Valid driver's license and good driving record.
* Must have or be able to acquire a pesticide applicator's license.
Position is subject to criminal background check.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
These positions provide landscape maintenance and construction support to University Housing. Duties include:
... routine mowing, fertilizing, edging, aeration, pest control and repair of campus turf areas.
... assisting in identifying and troubleshooting irrigation problems, making adjustments and repairs, and testing systems; programming controllers, winterizing systems in the fall, and activation of systems in spring; setting hoses and sprinklers to water areas not covered by automatic irrigation.
... assisting in clearing leaves from housing areas in the fall, especially from walks, ramps, steps, and drains.
... pruning, fertilizing, transplanting, and watering plants as directed; maintaining healthy plant beds by mulching and control of weeds through mechanical means and integrated pest management procedures.
... performing daily litter pick-up; emptying trash cans; removing and disposing of abandoned property on grounds, in apartments, houses, and other facilities; removing debris accumulated from landscape maintenance and removal of trash; cleaning up walks, parking areas, and driveways; power washing areas; applying cold patch on pavement areas.
... performing routine care of grounds maintenance equipment and tools; performing routine custodial cleaning of grounds crew facilities; assisting in emergency response to snow, ice, rain, windstorms, and fallen trees.
Position requires ability to occasionally work on ladders, scaffolds, and power lifts, and with chemical pesticides and fertilizers; ability to carry equipment, supplies or tools up to 50 pounds; regular and prolonged bending, climbing, crawling, kneeling, lifting, pulling, pushing, reaching, stooping, pulling, performing repetitive movements, and performing physically strenuous work in all weather conditions; position is exposed to noise from power equipment.
To assist us in making the selection for this position, please respond to the following questions on a separate sheet(s) of paper. Number your responses to correspond to the questions and describe your experience and training related to each item. Make sure your experience and training described in your responses are included in your application.
1. This position requires knowledge of the names, growth habits, and horticultural requirements of plants, shrubs, trees, and ground cover common to the region. Describe experience and training you have had which would have provided you with this knowledge, giving specific examples.
2. Describe your experience with turf maintenance, including mowing with rotary and reel mowers, edging, aerating, thatching, seeding, fertilizing and liming. Indicate your experience in the installation and repair of automatic irrigation systems. Specify if you posses a current Public Pesticide Applicator's License.
3. The Division of Student Affairs is committed to creating an organization that actively respects, includes and engages everyone. What does this mean to you and how, if selected as a Grounds Maintenance Worker 1, will you help us meet this goal?
Submit all application materials, including Human Resources Job Application form, supplemental questions and other relevant materials by the closing date to:
677 East 12th Ave., Suite 400
5210 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5210
Human Resources Job Application must be filled out completely or it will not be accepted. Make sure to keep a copy of your application packet for job interviews.
This announcement is available in alternate formats upon request. If you are a qualified applicant with a disability and need accommodation with the application process, please contact us for assistance.