Accounting Technician - Archive
|Salary:||$12.70 - $18.43 Per Hour|
o University of Oregon Housing invites applications for a full-time Student Payroll Specialist (Accounting Technician).
o This is a classified position represented by SEIU local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
o University of Oregon positions that are at least half-time are eligible for excellent benefits, including health and dental, employer-paid retirement, and tuition benefits for employee or an eligible dependent, sick and vacation leave.
o Due to budgetary shortfalls, the person appointed to this position may be required to take unpaid furlough days between date of hire and June 30, 2013.
o This recruitment is open to any applicant who meets the qualifications listed below.
TO QUALIFY YOU MUST HAVE:
... one year of experience that includes entering, compiling and/or reporting financial information; OR
... 12 quarter hours (8 semester hours) of accounting courses AND an associate's degree in accounting; OR
... an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Please note that all coursework must be from an accredited college or university and a transcript is required if you do not have one year of accounting experience as described above.
* Strong detail orientation and the ability to identify, analyze, and track large volumes of data on an on-going basis, and to correct identified discrepancies.
* High level proficiency in computer software technology, including word processing and spreadsheet applications, and proficiency in data entry.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills in order to communicate complex policies and procedures to a diverse campus population.
* Ability to learn Housing and university systems and procedures related to payroll.
On your application be specific in addressing your training (indicating credit hours) and experience to the areas listed above.
Position is subject to criminal background check.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position coordinates and processes University Housings student payroll (approximately 500 students), and serves as back-up for classified payroll (approximately 380 classified employees), and to provide critical and confidential assistance to the Human Resources Manager. Duties include:
... coordinating and processing all aspects of monthly student payroll, including analyzing accuracy of student data submitted from supervisors and entering employee and payroll data into payroll system; preparing weekly timesheets for supervisor review, reviewing edited timesheets for accuracy, making changes as necessary and entering data into time keeping system; regularly and independently analyzing payroll records to ensure accuracy of pay, labor distributions, index, and activity codes, work study status, and any other applicable elements to ensure an accurate payroll process, and sound business practices.
... serving as primary contact for issues related to employment and student payroll; interpreting current, applicable laws, rules, and policies regarding all payroll issues, including those affecting international students; completing payroll hiring paperwork and documentation for international student employees; verifying employment eligibility and overseeing completion of documentation; working with managers to ensure timely processing of student payroll documents and coordinating group sign up sessions.
... serving as backup for payroll issues when the classified payroll coordinator is out of the office; providing back-up support for processing classified payroll, and assuming responsibility for completion of classified payroll in payroll coordinator's absence.
To assist us in making the selection for this position, please respond to the following questions on a separate sheet(s) of paper. Number your responses to correspond to the questions and describe experience and training related to each question. Make sure that any experience or training described in your responses are included on your application.
1. This position provides support for payroll functions, including entering payroll data into computer system. Describe experience that demonstrates your ability to identify, analyze, and track large volumes of data on an on-going basis, and to correct identified discrepancies.
2. Describe your experience creating and maintaining computer spreadsheets and databases and in preparing analytical reports.
3. This position communicates with students and staff about payroll and accounting related issues. Describe experience that demonstrates your ability to communicate effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures, including individuals for whom English is a second language.
SKILL CODE SHEET:
You must also fill out a skill code sheet for this position. You can pick one up at Human Resources or print one out at http://jobs.uoregon.edu/skillcode.html
Submit all application materials, including Human Resources Job Application form, supplemental questions and other relevant materials by the closing date to:
677 East 12th Ave., Suite 400
5210 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5210
Human Resources Job Application must be filled out completely or it will not be accepted. Make sure to keep a copy of your application packet for job interviews.
This announcement is available in alternate formats upon request. If you are a qualified applicant with a disability and need accommodation with the application process, please contact us for assistance.