Operating Systems/Network Analyst 2 - Archive
|Department:||Center on Teaching and Learning|
|Salary:||$20.37 - $37.79 Per Hour|
o The University of Oregon College of Education (COE) invites applications for a full-time Systems Infrastructure Specialist (Operating Systems/Network Analyst) in the Center on Teaching and Learning.
o This is a classified position represented by SEIU local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
o University of Oregon positions that are at least half-time are eligible for excellent benefits, including health and dental, employer-paid retirement, and tuition benefits for employee or an eligible dependent, sick and vacation leave.
o Due to budgetary shortfalls, the person appointed to this position will be required to take unpaid furlough days between date of hire and June 30, 2013.
o This recruitment is open to any applicant who meets the qualifications listed below.
o Closing date extended to 3/29/13.
TO QUALIFY YOU MUST HAVE:
... a basic foundation of knowledge in complex technical problem solving that would normally be obtained through a bachelor's degree, in a technical field preferably computer and information science, or equivalent technical training and/or extensive demonstrated independent technical problem solving experience.
* Proficiency level generally gained through 3 to 6 years of enterprise application and/or systems administration experience.
* Minimum of 3 years Linux/Unix systems administration experience in a production environment with primary responsibilities to maintain critical infrastructures.
* Demonstrated success applying analytical, abstract, creative, and evaluative abilities within an information technology environment.
* Demonstrated expert knowledge, or certification in, a wide range of enterprise architecture methodologies, technologies, and tools.
* Experience leading technology implementation projects.
* Expertise configuring and maintaining Unix and Linux applications, including automation of common configuration and setup procedures.
* Proficiency with a scripting language (Bash, Perl, Python, PHP, etc.) to automate repetitive tasks.
* Familiarity with monitoring systems such as Nagios or Zabbix.
* Strong foundation in systems and applications administration principles, including systems automation, change management, capacity planning, documentation.
* Advanced knowledge of authentication integration such as LDAP, CAS, Shibboleth, Active Directory and PAM.
* Advanced knowledge and skills in service-oriented architecture (SOA) and processes, and in designing and implementing web services.
* Experience with Open Source database design and administration (MySQL).
* Experience providing high-availability services to enterprise clients via application-based load balancing or server clustering technologies.
* Experience securely provisioning Linux/Unix Servers for production level services such as Subversion, Apache, Trac, PHP.
* Advanced Linux/Unix troubleshooting skills.
* Experience with common project management concepts and practices.
* Experience administering load balancing technologies.
* Experience with common storage protocols.
* Experience with scalable monitoring and out of band server management technologies.
* Experience performing system penetration tests.
* Experience with testing frameworks.
* Strong multi-tasking skills.
* Ubuntu Linux experience preferred.
* Experience managing VMware applications.
Position is subject to criminal background check.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position provides leadership in the design, development, maintenance and management of CTL Server and Network services. Position will work as a part of a team, consisting of internal and external IT professionals, devoted to installation, configuration, and maintenance of miscellaneous Linux systems focusing on Open-Source and commercial application platforms. Duties include:
... system administration and troubleshooting, including server and network management; systems configuration management; development and integration of all network services; backup system management; configuration of systems monitoring and statistics (log analysis, analytics).
... server management, including application testing, installation, integration, and management of network and server systems; developing and maintaining documentation and operational guides; upgrading and maintaining operating systems; troubleshooting, including investigation and resolution of reported problems; security management, including detection and prevention of account phishing; collaborating with application developers and COE IT personnel on security issues; managing system level security while developing and maintaining a disaster recovery plan.
... project management, requiring collaboration with internal and external application developers, systems technical staff, and other key stakeholders; tracking and managing tasks for significant project objectives and milestones; leading meetings and presentations about the system server and network environment; collaborating with IT Director in long term planning and environment goal setting; collaborating with COE IT personnel to ensure that CTL server and network systems are aligned with College configuration and systems.
... performing system/network research and system architecture planning and development, including load balancing and high-availability configurations; providing second-level support for database and application software.
To assist us in making the selection for this position, please respond to the following questions on a separate sheet(s) of paper. Number your responses to correspond to the questions and describe experience and training related to each item. Make sure experience and training described in your responses are included on your application.
1. Describe your experience as a systems administrator. Detail the kinds of systems you supported, the operating systems, virtual servers, and mail servers, the number of users served, the applications supported, and the critical nature of the work these systems supported.
2. Describe a system administration project you have worked on involving collaboration with one or more external groups. What was your role in the project and how did you manage shared requirements, timelines, and work items?
3. What is the most complex system you've ever been responsible for maintaining. Describe its architecture, components, interfaces, and data flow.
4. Provide an example of a script you have written to automate one of the system administration tasks performed in your current position or a past position. It could be written in any scripting language (for example, bash, PHP, Perl, Python or similar). Please provide some basic explanation on what it does and its value to you in your role as a system administrator.
5. Share your experiences with disaster recovery planning and system backup software.
submission is the preferred method. Create an account at:Human Resources Job Application Form (Online)
Paper submission can be made by printing the form at:
Human Resources Job Application Form (PDF)
Mail or hand deliver the paper application and all relevant materials, including the answers to the supplemental questions, by 5:00PM on the closing date to:
677 East 12th Ave., Suite 400
5210 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5210
The UO Human Resources application must be filled out completely, with a signature or it will not be accepted. Make sure to keep a copy of your application packet for job interviews.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status.