Office Specialist 1 - Archive
|Salary:||$11.45 - $16.07 Per Hour|
o The University of Oregon Economics Department invites applications for a full-time Undergraduate Coordinator (Office Specialist 1).
o This is a classified position represented by SEIU local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
o University of Oregon positions that are at least half-time are eligible for excellent benefits, including health and dental, employer-paid retirement, and tuition benefits for employee or an eligible dependent, sick and vacation leave.
o Due to budgetary shortfalls, the person appointed to this position will be required to take unpaid furlough days between date of hire and June 30, 2013.
o This recruitment is open to any applicant who meets the qualifications listed below.
TO QUALIFY YOU MUST HAVE:
... completion of courses or training in office technology; OR
... one year of general clerical experience which included typing, word processing, or other generation of documents; OR
... equivalent combination of training and experience.
In addition this position requires:
* Excellent customer relations skills, patience, and the ability to diffuse upset or frustrated students.
* Excellent oral and written communications skills and ability to communicate effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
* Proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, and database computer applications and ability and willingness to learn new computer applications.
* Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, and accuracy.
* Ability to work effectively as a team member.
* Ability to complete job assignments in a timely manner in an environment with frequent interruptions in a busy, noisy office setting.
* Ability to interpret and explain complex rules and regulations regarding travel.
* As event committee chair, must be able to see the big picture of the event and guide and direct others to fulfill the mission.
* Experience processing travel reimbursements in higher education; experience with Banner information system; basic understanding of accounting transactions
Please indicate your clerical skills on the attached Office Support Skill Code Sheet and submit with your applications materials.
Position is subject to criminal background check.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position provides clerical support for the undergraduate program and reception support for the department. Duties include:
... greeting visitors, answering the telephone, and responding to e-mail messages, answering questions and providing information to students, faculty, and members of the public; sorting mail and monitoring inventory for mailing supplies.
... providing clerical support, including making travel arrangements and processing travel reimbursements; processing contract intake forms and foundation payment requests; providing back-up for accounts payable invoice processing.
... maintaining databases, lists, files and records, such as updating course lists and office contact information; ordering and maintaining inventory of office supplies; arranging for maintenance and repair of office and computer equipment; coordinating printing and copying; serving as event committee chair; serving as backup for other office staff; completing special projects.
... supporting the undergraduate program, including answering questions and providing program information prospective major/minors; scheduling advising sessions; preparing and sending mailings and e-mails about undergraduate events; reviewing Degree Audit Reports for students who have applied to graduate to evaluate if major/minor requirements have been met and directing students who have not fulfilled requirements to meet with an advisor; updating student information system and using student data warehouse and Banner to prepare reports; maintaining department listing of honors thesis and preparing final thesis submissions for posting on the website; coordinating arrangements for commencement ceremony and other undergraduate events.
... working with Associate Department Head (ADH) and administrators from the College of Arts and Sciences and Registrar's Office, to ensure course information is accurately reflected in the course listing before and throughout the registration process; monitoring waitlists, lab sections and general enrollment trends and reporting issues to ADH; annually reviewing and editing UO Catalog for updates and changes.
To assist us in making the selection for this position, please respond to the following questions on a separate sheet(s) of paper. Number your responses to correspond to the questions and describe experience and training related to each item. Make sure experience and training described in your responses are included on your application.
1. This position provides reception services and interacts with a wide range of individuals, including students and prospective students, faculty, administrators, staff, alumni and donors, vendors, and members of the public. Describe experience that demonstrates your customer services skills and ability to communicate effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
2. This position tracks administrative detail related to the scheduling of classes, meetings and events. Describe experience that demonstrates your ability to organize and track complex and detailed information using computer software. Please be specific in describing the level of your responsibility, attention to detail and follow through. Indicate if you have experience using scheduling software.
3. Describe your experience interpreting, explaining, and monitoring to ensure compliance with laws, rules and regulations and communicate technical information, in writing and orally. Indicate the types of laws, rules, and regulations, and your role in interpreting and ensuring compliance for the organization while meeting the needs of the individuals being served.
SKILL CODE SHEET:
You must also fill out a skill code sheet for this position. You can pick one up at Human Resources or print one out at http://jobs.uoregon.edu/skillcode.html
Submit all application materials, including Human Resources Job Application form, supplemental questions and other relevant materials by the closing date to:
677 East 12th Ave., Suite 400
5210 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5210
Human Resources Job Application must be filled out completely or it will not be accepted. Make sure to keep a copy of your application packet for job interviews.
EO/AA/ADA institution committed to cultural diversity. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status.