Operating Systems/Network Analyst 2 - Archive
|Department:||College of Arts and Sciences IT|
|Salary:||$20.37 - $37.79 Per Hour|
o The University of Oregon College of Arts and Sciences Information Technology Support Services (CASIT) invites applications for a full-time System Administrator (Operating System/Network Analyst). Position will work a flexible schedule based on operational needs, including work during evening or weekend hours, occasional overtime, and emergency coverage in a 24/7 environment.
o This position was previously posted as search 4475. The requirements have been reduced and the posting revised slightly. Applicants from search 4475 will be added to this pool.
o This is a classified position represented by the SEIU 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
o University of Oregon positions that are at least half-time are eligible for excellent benefits, including health and dental, employer-paid retirement, and tuition benefits for employee or an eligible dependent, sick and vacation leave.
o Due to budgetary shortfalls, the person appointed to this position may be required to take unpaid furlough days between date of hire and June 30, 2013.
o This recruitment is open to any applicant who meets the qualifications listed below.
o Closing date extended to 2/15/13.
TO QUALIFY YOU MUST HAVE:
... a basic foundation of knowledge in complex technical problem solving that would normally be obtained through a bachelor's degree, in a technical field preferably computer and information science, or equivalent technical training and/or extensive demonstrated independent technical problem solving experience.
In addition this position requires:
* Two years of systems administration experience supporting Windows domain environments, understanding of core Windows Server services, such as clustering, file sharing, Active Directory, and Group Policy.
* Proven track record of working well in team environments; strong customer service focus; strong communications and interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, and students from a variety of diverse backgrounds.
* Foundation in systems and applications administration principles, including systems automation, change management, capacity planning, documentation.
* Proven track record of working well in team environment as well as having a customer service focus to services provided by the team.
* Strong communications and interpersonal skills.
* Ability to work effectively with faculty, staff and students from a variety of diverse backgrounds.
* Experience using clustering technology and proficiency using scripting languages.
* Experience working in a higher education environment with a distributed governance model.
* Understanding of Windows PowerShell.
* Strong multitasking skills and proven leadership ability.
Position is subject to criminal background check.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) is at the academic heart of the University of Oregon's teaching and research mission. The CAS Information Services group (CASIT) is responsible for the availability and reliability of servers belonging to departments in Humanities, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences, and the Dean's Office. These servers host critical applications used by more than 600 faculty, 800 Graduate Teaching Fellows, 12,000 students, and 120 administrative staff. Duties include:
... system management, including monitoring system monitoring tools; performing periodic maintenance; performing hardware and OS upgrades; installing new servers; solving interoperability problems; support the CAS storage cluster.
... application support, including installing, maintaining, and upgrading applications; providing support to labs and users regarding CAS websites and course offerings.
... user administration, including assisting in administering CAS' Microsoft Active Directory presence within the University's forest; implementing group and security policies; creating disk shares and assign quotas; providing end user support for CAS storage cluster.
... system documentation, including documenting monitoring processes; producing and maintaining clear and thorough technical documentation as it pertains to operating procedures, change management, and hardware/software inventories of the systems and network.
... security and networking, including assigning user rights and privileges; maintaining and modifying permissions on file shares and other systems; helping to manage CAS firewall settings and general network security.
... serving as a member of the CASIT Systems Team and as part of the larger CASIT community; collaborating with other campus groups, such as Information Services, Network Services, and IT staff from other colleges; attending meetings and keeping abreast of developments on campus that affect server services.
Position works in a datacenter setting.
To assist us in making the selection for this position, please respond to the following questions on a separate sheet(s) of paper. Number your responses to correspond to the questions and describe your experience and training related to each item. Make sure your experience and training described in your responses are included in your application.
1. Describe your experience as a systems administrator. Detail the kinds of systems you supported, the operating systems, virtual servers, and mail servers, the number of users served, the applications supported, and the critical nature of the work these systems supported.
2. Describe your experience with Active Directory and Group Policy. How would you add a security group to 1000 different user objects in Active Directory?
3. What do you dislike about System Administration? What do you like?
4. What is the most significant impact you've made in your current job (or most recent job)? Explain how this was accomplished.
5. Provide one example of PowerShell, Bash or similar scripting language that you have written and provide some basic explanation on what it does, also please list the language used.
Submit all application materials, including Human Resources Job Application form, supplemental questions and other relevant materials by the closing date to:
677 East 12th Ave., Suite 400
5210 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5210
Human Resources Job Application must be filled out completely or it will not be accepted. Make sure to keep a copy of your application packet for job interviews.
The University of Oregon is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution committed to cultural diversity and compliance with the ADA. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status.