Medical Aide - Archive
|Department:||University Health Center|
|Salary:||$12.24 - $17.58 Per Hour|
o The University of Oregon Health Center invites applications for full-time Medical Aide/Area Coordinator (Medical Aide). Position works during the academic year, but may be required to work some hours during summer months.
o Position has been re-posted with revised minimum qualifications.
o This is a classified position represented by SEIU local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
o University of Oregon positions that are at least half-time are eligible for excellent benefits, including health and dental, employer-paid retirement, and tuition benefits for employee or an eligible dependent, sick and vacation leave.
o Due to budgetary shortfalls, the person appointed to this position may be required to take unpaid furlough days between date of hire and June 30, 2013.
o This recruitment is open to any applicant who meets the qualifications listed below.
TO QUALIFY YOU MUST HAVE:
... current certification from a national certifying body (e.g., American Medical Technologists, American Association of Medical Assistants, National Center for Competency Testing) as a medical aide or medical office assistant; and
... at least four years experience as a medical aide in a clinic, hospital or ambulatory care setting, including front office work providing general office support and record/chart processing and working with an electronic medical record.
In addition, position requires:
* Excellent customer service skills.
* Ability to communicate effectively and respectfully with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
* Ability to work collaboratively and respectfully with others in a clinic environment.
* Experience working with demanding patients in emotionally charged situations or when a situation may need to be de-escalated.
Position is subject to criminal background check.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position fills a dual role of both Certified Medical Assistant/Medical Aide and as an Area Coordinator primarily in Clinic A. Position provides support and assistance to the Nursing Department, Medical Clinics, and Appointment Desk operation in caring for students. Duties include:
... greeting patients in person and over the telephone, directing callers to proper area or individual; retrieving voice mail messages and communicating to appropriate staff; scheduling patients for new or return appointments; retrieving, organizing, and maintaining security of medical records; reviewing eligibility status for all patients; checking patients in and preparing appropriate forms for clinic visit; advising patients and completing forms; identifying follow-up in appointment system; completing diagnostic sheet, CVRs, and other Health Center forms; performing documentation in the medical record.
... taking and recording vital signs, including blood pressure, pulse, respiration, and temperature; recording information about patient's allergies to medication and medication taken regularly; adding documentation in the medical record; administering medications, including injections, as ordered by the clinician; transporting patients needing wheelchair assistance; assisting practitioner with patient exam or procedures; observing and reporting changes in patient condition; communicating with RNs regarding safe patient care and to alert them to patient signs and symptoms indicating a potential for adverse outcome; documenting patient's response to treatment; screening incoming phone calls from students, family members or outside clinicians and/or referral agencies and communicating to appropriate staff; making follow-up phone calls regarding lab results and providing discharge instructions as requested by clinician or directed by RN.
... cleaning and stocking work unit; including treatment and examination rooms; removing unsterile equipment from rooms, and cleaning and sending to central supply for sterilization.
... completing assignments to other clinical areas of the Health Center as needed; performing other duties as assigned by the clinicians, supervisor, or RN.
Position is exposed to communicable diseases and illnesses and potential exposure to blood borne pathogens. Position requires occasional lifting of patients and exertion for short periods.
To assist us in making the selection for this position, please respond to the following questions on a separate sheet(s) of paper. Number your responses to correspond to the questions and describe experience and training related to each item. Make sure experience and training described in your responses are included on your application.
1. Describe your experience as a CMA or MOA in ambulatory care, urgent care and with mental health patients. Clearly spell out the type of setting, size of facility, your role and the number of years you practiced in each setting. Describe how this experience may apply to a student health setting.
2. This position assists the general medical clinic and the psychiatric team. Describe your experience with patients who may be demanding, agitated, in crisis, or exhibiting irrational behavior who needed to be de-escalated. Give specific examples of situations you have handled where you have de-escalated a patient.
3. This position communicates with students, outside medical facilities, and other departments within the health center. Describe experience that demonstrates your ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures. Give specific examples.
Submit all application materials, including Human Resources Job Application form, supplemental questions and other relevant materials by the closing date to:
677 East 12th Ave., Suite 400
5210 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5210
Human Resources Job Application must be filled out completely or it will not be accepted. Make sure to keep a copy of your application packet for job interviews.
EO/AA/ADA institution committed to cultural diversity. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status.