Office Specialist 2 - Archive
|Department:||Academic Affairs, Portland|
|Salary:||$12.70 - $18.43 Per Hour|
o The University of Oregon Academic Affairs in Portland invites applications for a full-time Event Services Coordinator (Office Specialist 2). Position works a flexible schedule according to scheduled events that requires some evening and weekend work. There may be "black-out" dates for vacation planning. Attendance at formal (black-tie) events may be required.
o Close date extended to 1/14/13.
o The University of Oregon in Portland is located in the White Stag Block in Old Town China Town.
o This is a classified position represented by SEIU local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
o University of Oregon positions that are at least half-time are eligible for excellent benefits, including health and dental, employer-paid retirement, and tuition benefits for employee or an eligible dependent, sick and vacation leave.
o Due to budgetary shortfalls, the person appointed to this position may be required to take unpaid furlough days between date of hire and June 30, 2013.
o This recruitment is open to any applicant who meets the qualifications listed below.
TO QUALIFY YOU MUST HAVE:
... two years of general clerical experience, one year of which included typing, word processing, or other experience generating documents; OR
... an associates degree in Office Occupations or Office Technology; OR
... graduation from a private school of business with a Certificate in Office Occupations or Office Technology and one year of general clerical experience.
In addition this position requires:
* At least the equivalent of two years full-time experience assisting or managing complex, high-profile events.
* Experience providing exceptional customer service to diverse populace.
* Skills in establishing priorities, taking initiative, and managing dissimilar projects.
* Demonstrated success as both a team player and independent worker.
* Proven organization skills with exemplary attention to detailed follow-up.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* Strong analytical and creative problem solving skills.
* Proficiency with MS Word Suite and ability and willingness to learn new software programs and skills specific to event planning, scheduling, and project management.
* A positive, friendly outlook; immaculate, conservative grooming and attire that projects a professional appearance.
* Valid driver's license and good driving record.
* Possession of first aid and CPR certification or ability to obtain within 90 days of employment.
Prefer applicants with bachelor's degree; experience with computer graphics and database applications; experience managing event budgets; ability to obtain and maintain Oregon Certified Food Handler's Card.
Please indicate your skills on the attached skill code sheet.
Position is subject to criminal background check.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position assists the Events Services Manager with the coordination and execution of events at the UO in Portland. Duties include:
... coordinating event logistics with internal and external event organizers; coordinating with personnel, including Event Services Manager, schedulers, IT, facility services, and communication staff to ensure events are professionally implemented and supported; participating in the implementation and utilization of department sanctioned scheduling, event management, and contact management software to maintain event and client records; designing and drafting announcements and invitations; staffing events, responding to emergency situations, and calling additional resources as appropriate; evaluating the success of events and making recommendations for changes in timing, constituency, and deployment of resources for future events.
... participating in event strategy and staff meetings; participating in regular meetings with supervisor and Business Manager; providing general administrative and staffing support to the department as requested.
... helping to create and implement special events as requested by the Vice Provost for Portland Programs or the Business Manager.
Requires the ability to occasionally lift of boxes or material weighing up to lift 40 pounds.
o To assist us in making the selection for this position, please respond to the following questions on a separate sheet(s) of paper. Number your responses to correspond to the questions and describe experience and training related to each question. Make sure experience and training described in your responses are included on your application.
o In addition to the responses to the questions below, please include a resume with your application materials.
1. Describe your experience planning and carrying out the details of special events, including arranging catering and facilities, ordering supplies and equipment, tracking due dates, preparing guest lists and invitations. Indicate the types and sizes of events and the types of venues and participants. Please be specific in describing the level of your responsibility.
2. Describe your level of experience with databases, spreadsheets, desktop publishing, and word processing. Indicate the types of documents you prepared and the computer software with which you are proficient.
3. This position interacts with a wide range of individuals including UO executive leadership, faculty, and staff; UO alumni and donors; vendors and members of the public . Describe experience that demonstrates your ability to communicate effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
SKILL CODE SHEET:
You must also fill out a skill code sheet for this position. You can pick one up at Human Resources or print one out at http://jobs.uoregon.edu/skillcode.html
Submit all application materials, including Human Resources Job Application form, supplemental questions and other relevant materials by the closing date to:
677 East 12th Ave., Suite 400
5210 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5210
Human Resources Job Application must be filled out completely or it will not be accepted. Make sure to keep a copy of your application packet for job interviews.
EO/AA/ADA institution committed to cultural diversity. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status.