Custodian - Archive
|Department:||Department of Intercollegiate Athletics|
|Salary:||$10.86 - $14.54 Per Hour|
o The University of Oregon Department of Intercollegiate Athletics invites applications for full-time Custodian at the John Jaqua Center. This search may be used to fill future vacancies.
o Position works a flexible schedule and non-traditional work weeks, including some overtime, according to Athletic Department activities and events. Shift differential of $.75 per hour is paid for evening and weekend hours. The current position works a typical shift of Monday through Friday from 6:00 p.m. to 2:30 a.m.
o This is a classified position represented by the SEIU Local 503, Oregon Public Employees Union.
o Due to budgetary shortfalls, the person appointed to this position will be required to take some unpaid furlough days between date of hire and June 30, 2013.
o This recruitment is open to any applicant who meets the qualifications listed below.
TO QUALIFY YOU MUST HAVE:
* Ability to work effectively in a team environment with co-workers, customers, vendors, and university staff, focusing on customer service while completing work with stringent timelines.
* Ability to communicate effectively with staff, students, and customers from diverse backgrounds and cultures; ability to understand and provide clear verbal and written communication; ability to operate and respond to 2-way radio communications.
* Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals and ability to use routine e-mail.
* Documented history of organizing workload and using initiative to complete assigned complex projects with stringent completion criteria, i.e., dates, times, results.
Prefer experience performing custodial work in a commercial or business-type facility.
Position is subject to criminal background check.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
This position performs custodial and labor tasks inside and outside the John Jaqua Center. Duties include:
... performing general custodial duties, including emptying wastebaskets; cleaning walls and other surfaces; cleaning windows and mirrors; cleaning and sanitizing toilets, sinks, showers, and pools; filling dispensers; dusting, sweeping, stripping, waxing, and buffing floors; vacuuming and shampooing carpets; collecting and picking up litter and garbage; washing outside windows; collecting and bundling recyclable items.
... operating equipment such as vacuums, extractors, scrubbers, power washers, blowers, and small hand tools, such as drills and wrenches.
... providing support for events, including setting up tables and chairs; assisting in moving equipment, setting up and taking down furniture and equipment; providing custodial support for events.
... following proper procedures in handling hazardous materials; keeping up with new maintenance and custodial techniques and products.
Position requires the ability to work in an environment of competitive coaches, demanding users, and stressful situations that demand immediate results and solutions. This position requires the willingness to work in an environment containing dust, odors, and high levels of noise, and occasional work with or around chemicals and caustic compounds, such as cleaning agents. This position may work outside in inclement weather conditions. Position requires ability to walk, lift up to 50 pounds, move up to 100 pounds, perform work overhead, stoop, bend, twist, and perform repetitious movements throughout a large facility.
To assist us in making the selection for this position, please respond to the following questions on a separate sheet(s) of paper. Number your responses to correspond to the questions and describe experience and training related to each item. Make sure experience and training described in your responses are included on your application.
1. Describe an experience that shows your ability to complete a project using initiative.
2. Describe an experience that indicates your ability to communicate effectively and appropriately with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
3. Describe your experience working in a fast paced environment.
Submit all application materials, including Human Resources Job Application form, supplemental questions and other relevant materials by the closing date to:
677 East 12th Ave., Suite 400
5210 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5210
Human Resources Job Application must be filled out completely or it will not be accepted. Make sure to keep a copy of your application packet for job interviews.
EO/AA/ADA institution committed to cultural diversity. The University encourages all qualified individuals to apply, and does not discriminate on the basis of any protected status, including veteran and disability status.